Next Level Tableau for Power Users (Intermediate) is a two-day, fast paced hands-on intermediate and beyond level Tableau course geared for experienced users who wish to expand their visual analysis toolbox, strengthen their analytical skills and gain a better understanding of visualization best practices. Attending students will become a better analyst, designer, and communicator.
This course teaches students how to leverage Tableau to develop and hone their visual analytic skills, to engage in active planning for elegant visual design, to implement dashboards that reflect best practices, to answer data questions and how to best communicate answers to their intended audience. Students are invited to bring three examples of visualizations you’ve created in the past. These examples don’t have to be complex, just something you’ve actually used or presented. Any format (.twbx, .twb, image) is fine.
In this course you will learn:
- Describe the history, theory, and science behind data visualization, and how all this is built into Tableau’s DNA.
- Engage in the data analysis process including everything from planning your line of questioning to reviewing and communicating your findings.
- Use some basic principles of human visual perception and cognition in your chart design
- Critique charts and dashboards and offer suggestions for improvement.
Session: Introducing Visual Analytics
- What is visual analytics?
- Strengths and weaknesses of the human visual system
Session: Laying the Groundwork for Visual Analysis
- The analytical process
- Preparing for analysis
Session: Visual Mapping Techniques
- Working with human perceptual and cognitive processes
- Encoding data into visual form
- Working with color
Session: Solving Real-World Problems
- Getting a feel for your data
- Time series analysis
- Comparing categories and measures
Session: Communicating Your Findings
- Fine-tuning for more effective visualization
- Storytelling and guided analytics
This course is also available on our public schedule via Live Virtual Classroom:
Get Course Information